The social good of AI and advanced analytics
Here’s ten of the best things AI and advanced analytics has enabled in the last decade.
- Diagnose cancer patients earlier . For every type of cancer an early diagnosis can make a massive difference, AI is now accurately diagnosing images and samples better than many human specialists, improving the chance of successful treatment.
- Teaching students . With many schools oversubscribed, AI assistants can help teachers deliver a better education experience for a greater number of students.
- A real Babel Fish . Google can now audibly translate over 40 languages in real-time, something which could fundamentally change how we communicate globally.
- Detect crop disease . With AI farmers can more accurately manage and maintain their produce, reducing the amount of potential waste. In developing nations this technology could vastly improve food security.
- Help detect genetic conditions . By analysing the genetic code in a single drop of blood, AI is helping the NHS diagnose patients more accurately than ever before.
- Tackle crime . An AI supported security camera network in Dubai is helping tackle criminal behaviour, such as break-ins, by identifying a crime taking place and identifying the assailant whilst the crime is happening. Enabling the police to swiftly respond.
- Predict a hypoglycaemic event . AI is letting diabetics know up to three hours in advance if they are heading towards an event, enabling them to better manage their condition.
- Lip read better than humans . With better accuracy than a human lip-reader, new AI programs are making a huge contribution to the deaf community.
- Work out why you are unwell . From a sniffly nose to painful joints, AI can correlate all your symptoms with the 10,000 human diseases currently known far faster and with far more accuracy than a doctor.
- Discovered new planets . AI at NASA uncovered a new planet using data from the Kepler Space Telescope.